Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Gardening in November...Yes, NOVEMBER!

 I have never done any gardening to speak of in November before this year, but this year has been rather topsy-turvy in nearly every respect so... yes, I did a whole day of gardening yesterday.

I will tell you what I did on this rather warm-ish day...I think it got up to 65℉, but with the sun shining it felt much warmer to me which is always good.


  
So on this lovely autumn day I did some much needed and neglected weeding of the Juniper hill. This is on the upside of the driveway so it's the first thing to be seen by drivers-by so I should have fixed this up long ago back in spring to make it look at least decent if not perfect, but other things got in the way...what else is new?

I searched for a photo of the juniper hill but could not find one and I wasn't even thinking of posting about it , so it didn't occur to me to take any yesterday so...this photo of Ajuga "Blue Carpet" --another low-growing ground cover-- will have to do for now.

There! I found one--after a long second search through all my garden photos, all 20 million of them. Okay, it's not the "Blue Rug" Junipers (Juniperus Horizontalis to be technical and botanically correct) which I was snipping off the driveway--yes, they were growing beyond their boundary of the hill for about 3 feet out which would get in the way of the snow plow come winter snow--but it's a Juniper just the same...I believe a "Compactus Procumben" named "Nana".

It wasn't all bad though. I found that the little darlings had rooted in the soil, mulch and other debris which accumulated in the water run off ditch we have along the driveway. 3-5 feet long these plants were and healthy and ready to be transplanted elsewhere, which is exactly what I did.

If all goes well I will have another Juniper planting although not on a hill this time. I planted 2-3 dozen rooted cuttings along the workshop which will look rather nice I do believe. We'll see come spring if they took to their new home.

2 comments:

  1. Wow...nice! Now you can take some of those little junipers and make bonsai! Compactus Procumben named 'Nana' makes excellent bonsai specimens. ":)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pity you didn't tell me that BEFORE I planted them, although most of them were way too big already, 3-4 feet long! Not bonsai size.LOL I even had some tiny ones which would have been perfect, 3 inches tall at most. Ah, well, I'm sure I will find more by this time next year,

      Delete

Whacha think?